Total Pageviews

Friday, December 28, 2012

KAASTENGELS AKA CHEESE COOKIES


I just realized I did not post anything this month, I was planning to write some recipes but I did not get to do it.. got distracted to do something else, with holidays errands, shopping, baking cookies (not a lot though) and daily life goes on..

So before 2012 ends I'm going to share this recipe.. I don't know where this cookies originated, my guess is from Dutch, because the name sounds like Dutch to me, the cheese is imported from there and my country was its colony for more than 350 years,  so there was no wonder if our parents "stole" some of their culinaries  :P . Usually we make this cookies for special occasions, like Christmas, New Year and else






Ingredient:
350 grams or 3 sticks and 2 tbsp of unsalted butter
4 large egg yolks
225 grams or 8 oz of grated EDAM Cheese
75 grams or 3 oz of grated Parmesan Cheese ( the original recipe calls for Edam, but I like to mix it with Parmesan cheese)

Parmesan and Edam 
grated Edam


a little not: while I was preparing the dough I let both of the grated cheeses  in the refrigerator with the lid off to make it a bit drier so we still can taste its crunchiness in the cookies

Sieve:
450 grams or 1 lbs of all purpose flour
1 and 1/2 tbsp corn starch

eggwash:
1 eggyolk
1 tbsp milk

topping:
50 grams or 2 oz of shredded Parmesan cheese

heart shaped cookie cutter







Method:
- Beat butter and egg yolks until light color
- add flour
- add cheeses
- knead until well blended, wrap in plastic and let it chill for a while
- roll the dough, we can use cookie cutter or roll like a rope and cut it at the length and thickness we like
- place in the nonstick cookie sheets (ungreased)
- brush with egg wash and top with shredded Parmesan cheese
- bake in a 350'F preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes

- for about 6 dozens cookies




No comments:

Post a Comment