Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 4, 2015

COCONUT CUSTARD.. revised..

For this Easter Holiday, I made some Coconut Custard, Custard pie is one of my most favorite pies, I don't bake it often, usually I bake it when I have some friends come over or for potluck.. now Easter is my excuse to make some, I'll bring some to my friend and my in-laws for dessert or snack on our Easter dinner.

I posted the recipe before, today I'm going to post it again, a bit different ( I think), as I used mini pie molds to bake a dozen mini pies







My homemade crust, following my Mom's ancient recipe, it was just right and so good ( I have tried some other pie crust recipes before and never satisfied with the result, yet)

Crust/shell for one 9" pie pan, 1 and 1/4 " deep we need:
- 1 large egg
- 150 gram butter ( room temperature ), about 1 and 1/2 stick
- 2 cups of flour ( 225 to 250 gram )
- 1 to 2 tbsp water

beat with mixer (hook)




Making the pie crust:
- beat butter and egg, lightly, then add in flour, mix well, add water as needed, form a ball dough, then chill in fridge for 30 minutes



while chilling the dough, prepare for the filling:
- 4 whole eggs (large)
- 3 egg yolks only
- 1  cup of milk ( add another 1/2 cup if you feel the filling is not enough to fill the pie crust )
- 1/2 to 1 cup of sugar, as desired
- 1/2 cup of condensed milk
- 2 unsweetened cups of coconut flake, lightly toasted, set aside

Making the filling:
- whisk eggs, then add in the rest of the ingredients, except coconut
- heat the egg mixture on the stove, low heat, constantly stir, turn off the heat when mixture is warm
- let it cool a bit, then pour the custard through a strainer to ensure a nice and smooth consistency

Back to the crust:
- roll dough into a round thin sheet, carefully transfer the dough to the pie pan, cut off the excess dough hanging over the edge, press and secure it with fork
- line with parchment paper over the dough, weight it with beans
- bake for about 15 minutes in a preheated oven, 350'f
- take it out and let it cool



For coconut custard:
- arrange a handful ( about a cup ) of toasted coconut on the pie, carefully pour the smooth custard into the pie shell
- bake the pie for 30 minutes, sprinkle more coconut on top of it, then continue baking it until the filling is golden color, the middle part is almost set
- take it off from the oven, let it cool before slicing

NOTE: for this recipe, I mold the dough into  a dozen mini pan and one medium 6" pan with the same process












No comments:

Post a Comment