Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 26, 2012

EGGPLANTS CASSEROLE

Today is about eggplants.. not my favorite veggies, but my husband loves it very much.. so once in a while I'd cook it, especially for him.. sweet..

We went to our local market, my plan was to get some big shells for stuffed shell pasta ( I got the idea from a cooking forum I recently joined), when we walked around the store (a bad habit.. happens all the time, went to get a box of shell pasta, but came home with 2 big bags of stuffs and minus the pasta).. anyway.. I saw eggplants was on a big sale, 50 cents each, compares with their regular price, $1.99/each.. so I grabbed 2 of them, thinking to cook it in my usual way, with spaghetti sauce and I completely forgot the big shell pasta :)

The next day I took out the eggplants, started to cook it.. plan changed.. I wanted to try a new way to cook it, first thought was layering it and adding sauce like lasagna, but I remembered we just ate lasagna earlier this month, then I made up my mind, EGGPLANTS CASSEROLE  .. I wanted to cook it as one dish meal, so I did not have to cook veggies as side dishes



What we need:
- 1 lbs of Italian sausage, or 1 lbs of ground meat
- 1/2 brown onion, chop in small cubes
- 2 eggplants
- 2 big tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 4 stalks of celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 can or more (as needed) of tomato sauce
- herbs.. I used our homegrown cilantro and parsley, coarsely chopped
- cheeses.. I used Italian blend cheese, cube mozzarella and parmesan for topping



Method:
- brown sausage in a big pan, add Italian or favorite seasoning if using ground meat
- add chopped onion
- meanwhile, cut eggplants in medium size cubes, add into the skillet, sautee until softened
- add in tomato and celery
- add tomato sauce
- add the herbs too
- pour in cheeses, blend well
- grease the pan with oil, pour the eggplants mix into it.. sprinkle with parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs mix
- bake in the preheated oven on 350'f, for 40 minutes, set on broil for another 5 minutes




For 6 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment