Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

SHUMAI.. aka CHINESE DUMPLINGS

This is one of my favorite foods.. it's the star and most popular of dimsum foods, we like it very much, it's a must eat whenever we go to dimsum, too bad our dimsum place is quite far from our home, so once in a while I'd make it myself.. it's not hard at all, the hard part is to find the right wrappers, we usually use wonton, dumpling or gyoza wrapper, most Asian stores sell them frozen, I like the thin wrapper but until now I haven't got the right one yet..

With a lot ways and recipes to make it.. depends on how we like, I tried out some of the recipes I found from the nets, but I stick on with the one I modified myself...

What we need:
- frozen wonton wrapped, thaw
For the fillings:
- 8 oz of ground chicken with fat (thigh meat) or ground pork
- 4 oz of coarsely chopped shrimps
- 4 chopped shitake mushrooms
- 2 finely chopped green onion
- mix well: 1 lightly beaten egg white + 1 tsp salt and blackpeppers + 1 tbsp of garlic oil + 1 tsp of tapioca starch + 1 tsp of sesame oil + 2 tbsp of fish sauce (optional) or 2 tbsp of soy sauce



Method:
- combine chicken + shrimps + mushrooms + green onion, fold with fork, add the sauce mixture, fold again until well blended
- scoop 1 tbsp of the meat filling, put on the middle of the wrapper, gently press it and wrap the wrapper around the filling, top with grated carrot, place it on the lightly grease (with cooking spray) plate / tray, after all done, generously spray cooking oil on top of the dumplings (to prevent it from sticky and dry)
- boil water in pan, put the steamer on, place the plate in the steamer, and steam over boiled water for about 15 minutes

make about 24 pieces


No comments:

Post a Comment