Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 28, 2012

MY PAD THAI AKA STIR FRY RICE NOODLES

I love eating rice noodles aka kwetiau.. and my husband likes it too.. for soup, salad or stir fry.. fresh rice noodles can be bought at Asian stores, so it kinda once a month or maybe once in 2 months meal, depends on how often my trip to Asian store is.. it's also a very common food in my hometown, cheap and easy to find, every grocery stores carry them..

Today I cook Thailand style stir fry noodles.. I can't say whether it's authentic or not as I'm not a Thai, so I really have no idea how the authentic Pad Thai tastes, I believe there are so many various ways to cook Padthai, depends on the region of the country.. so here is what I do:



Ingredients:
- 1lbs of fresh rice noodles (if using the dried one, cook or soak it according the instruction on the packet, don't over cooked or oversoaked  it, rinse with cold water, drain it)
- 8 oz of shrimps or thinly sliced pork or beef
- 2 eggs
- fresh bean sprout
- 1/4 onion, slice
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- thinly sliced fresh mushrooms
- some veggies (optional), I used store bought broccoli slaw
- bunch of cilantro, coarsely chopped
- green onion or chive (optional), coarsely chopped





for the sauce:
- in a  bowl, mix well: 1 tsp of tamarind paste dilute with 2 tbsp of water, 2 tbsp of fish sauce,  2 tbsp of soysauce, 2 tbsp of fried garlic oil, 1 tbsp of chili sauce (optional), 1 tbsp of sesame oil and 1 tbsp of brown sugar (I used sweet soy sauce)


for the topping:
- coarsely chopped roasted peanut, green onion, fried shallots (optional)

Method:
- put the cold noodles in the bowl, pour in the sauce, stir gently, until it blended well, put aside
- using a big pan, heat 2 tbsp of oil, brown the onion, add garlic, the meat or shrimps (I'd take out and separate the shrimps once it cooked)
- add in mushrooms, the veggies, stir for couple minutes, push them to the side of pan, add the eggs, add oil if needed, scramble the eggs
- add the noodle, carefully stir everything until mix well, add bean sprouts and cilantro, add the shrimps back in the pan, give a last stir

To serve:
- pour noodles on a serving plate, garnish with peanuts, fried shallots and green onion

for 4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment