Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

MONGOLIAN BEEF

Okay.. before I forget, I'm going to write this down.. it tastes so delicious.. I can't recall if I ever ate Mongolian beef before, so I don't know the real taste, but using the recipe I followed today, I'm so satisfied with the result, so I'm going to share it here, for my future reference too

I have this cook book, Martin Yan Chinatown Cooking, for almost 10 years, it sits nicely (but dusty) in my cabinet, I rarely used it, last week when I dusted it, I opened it and this recipe caught my eyes and I decided to try it, as I have some thin sliced beef in my refrigerator.

I used most of the ingredients in his recipe but cooked it in my way.. much easier way :)



Ingredients:
- 1 lbs of beef meat, the recipe says flank or tri tip cut, thinly sliced
- marinate in sauce:
- 2 tbsp of hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 tbsp of fried garlic oil
- 1 tbsp of chili sauce (optional)
- 1 tbsp of rice vinegar
- 1 tsp of cornstarch
- 1 tsp of brown sugar, I used 1 tbsp of sweet soy sauce
- black pepper

other ingredients:
- 2 tbsp of cooking wine
- 1/2 inch of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 tbsp of oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium onion, coarsely chopped

for garnish:
- chopped green onion, or sesame seeds

Method:
- mix well the sauce ingredients, pour in a ziploc bag, add in the beef, gently massage the meat and marinate for at least 1 hour (in the refrigerator)
- heat the oil in a wok, add grated ginger, onions and garlic, cook until fragrant
- add the meat with all the sauce into the wok, stir for few minutes, add cooking wine, cook until the juice comes out clear, set it on a plate, garnish with green onion and sesame seed



Serve it on steamed rice but today I went an extra mile, I boiled some vermicelli noodles and made salad with chopped butter lettuce, chopped cucumber, fresh bean sprouts and some grated carrot, I added: fish sauce, rice vinegar and garlic oil for the sauce and oh a splash of Ponzu sauce (can be substitute with lemon juice)

For serving:
- mix noodles with the sauce, add salad, cucumber and carrot, add the beef, then garnish with roasted peanut and fried shallots.. nyum nyum.. very refreshing, a hint of sweet, sour,  savory and a bit spicy from the chili sauce, satisfied my tummy



No comments:

Post a Comment