Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Kimchi

A weird dream woke me up at 5 am this morning, I could not sleep well since, so I decided to go the daily mass with my husband, he has been going there every morning since July. The small chapel was filled with 11 parishioner, most of them are regular attenders of the 7 am mass. The mass was a short one, Fr.Jojo gave a short homily on the mass. It was too early to have breakfast after mass as we usually have late breakfast or brunch lately.. I could not go back to sleep, so I busied myself in my comfort zone, my kitchen.. I continued my half done kimchi, last night I brined my napa cabbage in a very salty water, now I finished making my kimchi, here is the recipe..

My husband likes eating kimchi, usually he bought it at our Asian Store, it's a bit pricey for me, for a 2 lbs jar we have to pay $5.-, after browsing around the recipes I decided to make it myself, combining the recipes I got on the net,  it only costs $2 for 5 lbs kimchi and for the taste, believe me, it tastes much better than the store bought one, my kimchi tastes sweet, sour, salty, the apple and fish sauce make a perfect combination


What we need:
- Napa cabbage, about 1 and 1/2 lbs, rinse and cut them, soak them in a big bowl or container with salty water, leave them over night in refrigerator, make sure all the cabbage is covered with water
- 1 small jicama, peel and julienne
- 1 carrot, peel and julienne
- 1 apple, peel, cut in cubes
- ginger,
- 1/2 onion, cubed
- 1 tbsp of minced garlic
- chili pepper
- 2 green onions, slice into thin strips
- 1 cup of vinegar
- 1/2 cup of fish sauce
- 1 cup of sugar



vinegar + fish sauce and sugar

Method:
- process apple, onion, ginger, garlic, chili pepper in a FP, add vinegar, fish sauce and sugar. put the puree in a big bowl
- drain the cabbage, rinse with clean water, I let the it soak in clean water for a while and drain it again
- put the cabbage into the puree, add jicama and carrot, mix well
- store them in a tight lid container or jar, let them sit for few days in the refrigerator before serving




Now my kimchi is done, I still have my soy bean soaking on my counter, I'm going to make soybean cake, hopefully there is a good show on tivi while I peel them...

note: still have no idea what's for dinner tonight, I was planning to cook eggplant with spaghetti sauce, but I'm not sure now

No comments:

Post a Comment