Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 18, 2012

COCONUT CUSTARD PIE

Did I tell you that I hate baking? It's true, but once in a while I'd bake, though it did not always turn out good, but practice makes perfect, right?

Last week I saw a very challenging recipe, from the ingredients I know we'd like it, I bake Egg Custard pie before, quite often, and I like eating coconut, so the recipe today is about COCONUT CUSTARD PIE.. how does it sound? yummy, right?




I got this recipe from a Cooking Forum I joined since January this year, it's a good place to find ideas what's for cooking, tips and else..one of the members posted this recipe, and I instantly fell in love with it

It was Valentine's day, a right excuse to make something sweet, I don't make dessert a lot, I need good excuses to make it, such as special occasion like V day, bday or other celebrations, or we have company for dinner, It's not a good idea to make the whole pie to be eaten only by the two of us..if you know what I mean :)

So, I'll just copy and paste it, with a little changes here and there, thanks to Jimmy



Pastry for single-crust pie , I made my own pie crust, first time making it from scratch, with my mom's recipe, a little bit dry, but tasted good, I found out from my friend that I needed a bit water and vinegar (I'll try it next time on my Chicken Potpie)

4 extra-large eggs, I used 5 large eggs as I did not have extra large eggs in my refrigerator

2/3 cup sugar, I reduced it to 1/2 cup because I used condensed milk instead of heavy cream

1 teaspoon cornstarch

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 1/3 cups heavy cream, I used 1 cup of condensed milk, I don't like heavy cream, never had it in our house

1 cup milk , I put more milk, 1 1/3 cup

1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups flaked coconut , mine was way more coconut, I love coconut

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg , I did not add this

1 1/2 sticks butter + 1 large egg

2 cups flour
chill for 30 minutes


not really a smooth crust, but who could see the difference after it's done 






the method is more or less the same



Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and butter a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate.

Mix and chill the pastry. Roll it out 1/8-inch thick on a lightly floured surface and trim to a 15-inch circle. Transfer the pastry to the pie plate, leaving a 1 1/2-inch overhang. Fold under the edge to stand up 1-inch high and flute. Prick it all over with the tines of a fork. Place the unbaked shell in the freezer for 15 minutes.

To partially bake the shell before filling it, place a piece of foil in the center and weigh it down with pie weights, uncooked beans, or rice. Blind-bake the crust just until it begins to set, about 8 minutes; remove the foil and pie weights and return the shell to the oven until it starts to brown, about 4 minutes more. Transfer the crust from the oven to a cooling rack, then reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees F.

While the crust is baking, make the coconut custard filling. Using and electric mixer set on high, beat the eggs in a large bowl until thick and light yellow, about 5 minutes. Mix the sugar, cornstarch, and salt together in a small bowl and beat this mixture into the eggs until thoroughly mixed. Reduce the speed of the mixer to medium. Add the cream, milk, and vanilla and beat the filling until light and frothy, about 3 minutes more. Stir in 1 1/4 cups of the coconut. Pour the filling into the partially baked crust, dot with the butter, and sprinkle with the nutmeg.

Bake the pie for 30 minutes, sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup of coconut, and continue baking the pie until the filling is golden, the coconut is toasty, and the filling jiggles only slightly in the center, about 20 to 30 minutes more. The pie is ready to come out of the oven when a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the pie on a wire rack for 1 hour.

add some weight before baking the crust 


getting there :)

No comments:

Post a Comment