Total Pageviews

Friday, January 18, 2013

Beef Shanks in Worcestershire sauce

We bought 2 pieces of Beef Shanks on impulse the other day.. I did not have any idea what to do with them.. they were on sale, so I grabbed 2 packages of them and let them sit in my fridge for a few days. I saw some braise meat shows on the TV, so today I tried it with my way, with whatever I had in my fridge and I must say, even though it doesn't look too good but it tastes so good, causes me want to write down the recipe for my future reference



So here it is:
- 2 pieces of bone in beef shanks or other meat cut, short ribs, ox tails, all good for it, lightly coat the meat with cornstarch + salt mix, set aside..
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- coarsely chopped mushroom (about half cup)
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup of Worcestershire sauce
- salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp of wine vinegar
- 1 cup of meat broth or water
- 1 cup of wine (optional)
- 1 tsp of sugar





Method:
- heat a pan with a bit of oil, add the meat, sear both sides, set aside
- saute onion, bell pepper, garlic and mushroom until soft, add in the meat
- pour in wine, continue cooking..
- add the remaining ingredient except sugar
- bring it to boil, then cover and simmer in low heat for about 2 hour, stir occasionally
- cook until the meat tender, add in the sugar, uncover and cook for another 30 minute, by now the liquid is reduced
- give the last stir, set the meat on a plate, pour some of the sauce on, reserve a bit of the sauce in the pan

For side dish, slice cabbage in 1 cm, add into the pan with sauce, stir until the cabbage are soft, add salt and black pepper if needed.

It's good with steamed white rice

For 4 servings





No comments:

Post a Comment