Total Pageviews

Monday, January 14, 2013

Playing with my pasta maker

I've never thought I'd be able to make my own noodles before.. it;s hard to get a good fresh noodles from the stores and I like eating noodles, no store sells good cooked noodles as well, so I have to find a way in order to be able to eat good noodles, in Indonesia good noodles are every where, large variety of them, all of them are delicious depend on your taste, even some roadside vendors sell good and delicious noodles too (if you don't care about their cleanness and hygienity). One of my options to be able to eat the good noodles is to make my own noodles and the crucial equipment to do it is to have a PASTA MAKER... my friends have KA ( Kitchen Aid ) and they told me how easy it works, but for me KA is way too expensive and I'm not sure if I'd use it often, so it's not worthy for me to spend hundreds of dollars (yes.. I'm cheap :))

So after dragging my feet for a while I finally put this  MANUAL PASTA MAKER on my wishlists for Christmas and birthday, rather than getting stuffs I don't need. My parents in law bought it for my birthday this month.. YES..  and on my birthday I tried it out, I made some RAVIOLI and noodles, it works like magic (well.. it needs a hard work, after making it I don't need my hands and shoulders work out for the day :)) , I like it, I like the pastas I made.. mmh.. they are delicious, worth my time and my energy

my free style ravioli




I'm going to share my Ravioli recipe today.. I made Salmon - spinach - mushroom - cream cheese ravioli.. first the ingredients for the dough

- 3 cups of flour
- 3 to 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp of oil ( I  used Canola)
- a few tbsp of water (if needed)

I used bread machine for kneading, after it forms a ball, let it sit in a bowl, cover with damp clothe, if kneading with hands, mix well all ingredients, if too dry, add water, knead until the dough is not sticky anymore, form a ball and let it sit in a covered bowl

Then roll into a thin sheet, I roll the sheet with #7 for a few time, then #6 for 3 times, and #3 for another 3 times, cut in rectangle 5"x 3", add 1 to 11/2 tsp of the filling in the middle, brush the edge with water, then fold and secure with pressing a fork around the edge, toss in a container filled with flour, make sure it covered with flour to avoid them sticking.. 1 recipe is for about 2 dozen of ravioli

DH helped me with rolling the sheet 

those were made months ago with a borrowed pasta maker


as for filling:
- 8 oz of salmon.. microwave for 3 minutes, then flake into fine flakes
- 4 oz of room temperature cream cheese
- 1 cup of frozen spinach (squeeze dry)
- 2 oz of finely chopped mushroom
- 1 tbsp of finely chopped onion
- mix well all the ingredients




italian sausage + spinach + cream cheese filling


Cooking the pasta:
- boil a big pot of water, add some salt and some oil (if needed, to avoid them sticking), add ravioli into the boiling water, not to crowd them, boil 8 to 10 minutes, remember, fresh pasta cooks faster than dried pasta. drain them in a strainer, then arrange them in a plate, in a small bowl, melt 4 tsp of butter, pour over the ravioli then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, or we can serve it with tomato or cheese sauce


with cheese sauce
with meted butter and Parmesan cheese

For the noodles.. using the same dough, I roll #7 for 4 times, then #3 for 4 times, then cut with the Spaghetti cutter, cook in boiling water for 5 to 8 minutes, add all the topping we like.. aah it will be in another post :)

No comments:

Post a Comment