Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Stuffed Cabbage Rolls (Galumpkis)

Today it's about cabbage.. I've been wanting to make this Stuffed Cabbage since a couple of weeks ago.. I read it in a Cooking Forum I join, some of the members made it for their dinner, their meals looked so good and I was interested in trying it. I  bought a big head of cabbage for it, but I ended up making some other meals using that cabbage, so yesterday I determined to cook it soon, we went to the store to get another head of cabbage, I had ground pork in my freezer and other stuffs in my fridge, so I was good for the prep.

This morning after a big breakfast (biscuit, cheese and bacon), I was thinking what to do, either squeezing lemons for lemonade or making this stuffed cabbage.. so when my DH went off for his bike ride (poor him, almost a week did not have his bike ride due to the freezing weather and very windy days), I had at least 2 hours for myself and I decided that was the right time to make my


Stuffed Cabbage Rolls (Galumpkis)


I browsed around the net for the recipes, lots of them, and various names for them too, I'll just call it STUFFED CABBAGE, and like usual, I'd do it my way 

Ingredients:
- 1 head of cabbage, carefully cut off the center core of the cabbage 
- 1 big pot of water, bring it to boil, carefully drop cabbage in it, cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the leaves tender, then peel leaf one after another, repeat boiling leaves if needed, cut the center part of the leaves






- for the fillings:
- 1 lbs of ground pork (any meat you like, beef, chicken thigh, shrimps)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup of fresh mushroom, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of mince garlic
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of cooked rice
- 1/2 cup of bread crumbs (plain or seasoned)
- chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper





For the sauce:
I used canned pealed tomato, chili seasoned or  Ragu, Prego or any tomato sauce will do, I added 1 tsp of sugar 

Method:
- heat a skillet with 2 tbsp of oil, add onion, stir for 1 minute, add bell pepper, mushroom and minced garlic, saute until all soft, set aside
- in a bowl, combine ground pork + rice + egg + bread crumb + onion mixture + cilantro, salt and pepper, mix well





- add 2 tbsp of meat mixture on a cabbage leaf, fold both sides over filling, starting with stem end, roll tightly.. repeat with all the leaves until all done
- grease a big casserole pan, line cabbage rolls, pour tomato sauce on top of them, cover and bake for 1 hour in 350'F



Topping: 1/2 cup of sour cream mix with 1/2 cup of the cooked tomato sauce, pour over the stuffed cabbage rolls.


For 12 to 14 medium size rolls.. I consider them as one dish meal, 2 rolls foe me and I'm stuffed.. though my DH needs 4 rolls and 2 baked potatoes :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment